When You Need It

“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.”—Psalm 46:1

Living in the Midwest, one experiences several storms during the spring and summer months, which can be very severe and damaging, and even known to cause tornadoes. Each town or city is equipped with sirens that go off whenever a dangerous storm is approaching letting the residents know they need to seek a shelter quickly. Whenever we hear the siren go off we immediately run to the basement, the safest place in the house—our refuge and shelter from the storm.

In the Bible, God is described as our refuge. The word literally means a “place to flee for safety.” In ancient Israel there were actually cities of refuge established by God where men and women could go if they accidentally killed someone. We must remember, that in ancient Israel, there was what is known as lex talionis, or the law of relation. The law of retaliation stated that whenever a person would cause another person an injury, the one who did the injury would receive the same injury in return. This is where we get the verse “an eye for an eye” as Moses wrote, “But if there is harm, then you shall pay life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe”—Exodus 21:23-25 (cf. Leviticus 24:19-20, Deuteronomy 19:21).

For example, if my brother was out chopping wood with his best friend, and his friend’s axe head flew off hitting my brother in the head and killing him, it would be my responsibility (because I am his nearest male blood relative) to avenge his death. I would be called “the avenger of blood.” It was, after all, life for life. However, if it was an accident, then he could run to the city of refuge and would be safe. I couldn’t touch him as long as he was in the boundaries of the city. He was to live there until the high priest died. And if the high priest were to die, then he would be free to return home and I couldn’t touch him. If however, he came out of the boundaries of the city before the death of the high priest then I could kill him and not suffer any penalty. All of this is explained in Numbers 35:9-29.

When God says that He is our refuge, it means that He is putting us in a place where we are safe from harm. We can run to Him whenever we are in trouble, or whenever the circumstances of life overwhelm us. He is there when we need Him. It doesn’t matter where we have been or what we have done. If we are willing to run to Him in repentance and faith, He will be there to be our protector and strength, giving us His strength and grace to bear up under the stresses of life.

Is God your refuge? Do you run to Him in time of trouble? He is the only refuge that is able to truly be a shelter in the midst of the storm. There is no one who cares more for you or is more worthy of your trust.

Father God, You alone are God. And You alone are my shelter in the midst of the storm. Forgive me for looking for shelter and refuge in that which cannot keep me safe. Let my heart only be inclined unto You and may Your name be the only name of praise upon my lips. I thank You, Father, for being my refuge and allowing me to run to You in my time of need. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts